TelecityGroup achieves Carbon Trust Standard in the UK
- Delivers improvement in carbon efficiency
- Environmental leadership further highlighted through ISO 14001 certification
TelecityGroup, the industry leading provider of premium network independent data centres, has been awarded the Carbon Trust Standard across their operations in the UK and achieved ISO 14001 certification for environmental management, highlighting its commitment to maximising the energy efficiency of its operations.
The Carbon Trust Standard was awarded to TelecityGroup for demonstrating an improvement in carbon efficiency from January 2007 through to December 2009 across the company’s UK operations and subsidiaries, and committing to delivering ongoing year-on-year improvements.
Based on a rigorous certification process, the Carbon Trust Standard is the world’s first carbon award that requires organisations to measure, manage and reduce carbon emissions across their own operations. The certificate also constitutes 50 percent of the Early Action Metric for judging performance in the CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme (formerly known as the Carbon Reduction Commitment) which started in April 2010.
Harry Morrison, General Manager of the Carbon Trust Standard commented: “Being certified with the Carbon Trust Standard is proof that an organisation has taken genuine action to reduce its impact on climate change by cutting its carbon emissions. We congratulate TelecityGroup for achieving the Carbon Trust Standard across their operations in the UK.”
Furthermore, following an audit of its facilities from Lloyd’s Register Quality Assurance (LRQA), TelecityGroup has now been formally certified for ISO 14001 standard across all 23 of its data centres in Europe. ISO 14001 is an internationally-recognised certificate for organisations that demonstrate superior environmental management.
Michael Tobin, CEO of TelecityGroup, said: “As the services we provide are at the heart of the digital economy, it is crucial that we continue to strive for environmental best practice and ensure our energy usage is as efficient as possible. To achieve ISO 14001 accreditation across our entire portfolio of data centres in Europe, and be the first specialist data centre services company to be awarded the Carbon Trust Standard across our UK operations, shows both our continued environmental leadership and the combination of investment and proactive management we have taken to measure and significantly reduce our carbon emissions.”
The Carbon Trust Standard and ISO 14001 accreditation are continued evidence of TelecityGroup’s leading role in driving energy efficiency in the data centre industry. Through its Energy Management Programme, the Group is committed to significant ongoing investment to maximise the environmental performance of its data centre portfolio, focusing on new operational and management processes based on the EU’s Code of Conduct and the Green Grid metrics. The programme includes upgrading existing data centres and focusing on design innovation for new facilities such as Condorcet in Paris, designed and built to be one of the most advanced data centres in Europe both technically and environmentally.
Separately, TelecityGroup has also achieved certification to OHSAS 18001, the assessment specification for occupational health and safety management systems. This validates companies that show excellence in health and safety performance, and demonstrates the leadership to reduce risk and create an injury-free workplace
Notes to editors:
About TelecityGroup plc
TelecityGroup is the industry leading premium provider of highly connected data centres in Europe, offering a range of flexible, scalable data centre and value added services. TelecityGroup specialises in the design, build, and management of highly connected and secure environments in which customers can house their technical, web and internet infrastructure. Each of its data centres acts a connectivity and content hub facilitating the storage, sharing and distribution of data, content and media. Headquartered in London, TelecityGroup operates 23 network independent data centres across seven European countries. The data centres are located in prime positions for commerce and connectivity, including Amsterdam, Dublin, Frankfurt, London, Manchester, Milan, Paris and Stockholm.
Telecity Group is listed on the London Stock Exchange (LSE: TCY)
For further press information, photography, or to request an interview, please contact:
Dan Warren or Louisa Benckendorff
Nelson Bostock Communications +44 (0)20 7229 4400
Dan.warren / louisa.benckendorff @nelsonbostock.com
About The Carbon Trust Standard
- All businesses and organisations, both in the UK and internationally, are eligible to apply for the Carbon Trust Standard including FTSEs, mid caps, SMEs and public sector organisations. Organisations that are awarded the Carbon Trust Standard hold it for a two year period and to maintain the certification they must reapply and demonstrate that they have continued to make year-on-year reductions in their carbon emissions.
- Organisations wanting information about getting the Carbon Trust Standard can call: 0800 019 1443 or visit www.carbontruststandard.com.
- Organisations that are certified with the Carbon Trust Standard are listed at www.carbontruststandard.com/UsingtheStandard/CurrentStandardBearers.aspx
- Total carbon footprint certified by the Carbon Trust Standard is now nearly 32 million tonnes of CO2e. This is equivalent to 9% of the total carbon footprint of UK businesses and transport.
- Through a commitment to continually reducing their carbon footprint, Carbon Trust Standard achievers have together cut their emissions by 2.1 million tonnes of CO2 and have saved the equivalent of £72 million associated with reductions in gas, electricity and fuel use. The average reduction made by Carbon Trust Standard achievers over 2 years is 7% which is ahead of the overall trajectory required to meet the UK’s carbon reduction targets. This shows that Carbon Trust Standard achievers are genuinely leading the way in real carbon reduction and demonstrating that it is possible to de-carbonise your business year on year and still be successful.
About The Carbon Trust
The Carbon Trust is a not-for-profit company with the mission to accelerate the move to a low carbon economy, providing specialist support to business and the public sector to help cut carbon emissions, save energy and commercialise low carbon technologies. By stimulating low carbon action we contribute to key UK goals of lower carbon emissions, the development of low carbon businesses, increased energy security and associated jobs.
We help to cut carbon emissions now by
- Providing specialist advice and finance to help organisations cut carbon
- Setting standards for carbon reduction
- We reduce potential future carbon emissions by
- Opening markets for low carbon technologies
- Leading industry collaborations to commercialise technologies
- Investing in early stage low carbon companies
For further information or interviews on the Carbon Trust Standard, please contact Maria Stefanova on 0207832 4828 or CarbonTrustStandardPR@carbontrust.co.uk .